Sunday, January 15, 2017

2/17 project in progress: The Splendid Sampler!

Well, our big computer is gone...I think.  It is years old, and just will not function...so?  I am posting from the Apple computer, instead!  This is project 2 out of 17, for this year.  Here is my Splendid Sampler, in progress.  I have all the blocks sewn together, and some of the sashing made.  I have really enjoyed this project, for many reasons.

 First, I made it in red, white and blue, for America, in the midst of terrible terrorist attacks here and in France, Germany and elsewhere!  Second, it was a connection to Lyn, my friend in Australia, who paper pieced several blocks for the quilt, who knows that I don't like paper piecing, much.  I love those blocks!!  Third?  The blue fabric in the sashing is from my torn lab jacket from my work; torn on a day that I got to go down into the operating room and help with an open heart surgery.  I will never forget the surgical magic that happened that day...a dying man, gray in color and with very low blood pressure...and the next day?  Pink, drinking clear liquids and sitting up in the chair!!  Went home in four days....yahoo!!!


The patterns for the Splendid Sampler are coming down in about a month, so I think I am wrapping up this project with just the blocks I have.  I just don't want to worry getting the last ones done and the patterns disappearing on me.


So this is what I am working on, in addition to my 30 minutes of binding and hand quilting each day.


Happy Sunday, everyone!!!

Julie

18 comments:

Nana said...

I love the dedication to the UFOs you have going to set the 30 minutes for binding and quilting.....I may follow your lead and do the same for my hand quilting project.

The sampler is beautiful and I love the red/white/blue.
Story of patient is touching.

Karen said...

I like the setting you are using for the quilt. And how nice to have had someone do the paper piecing. I am not good at paper piecing and could use a buddy like that.

AnnieO said...

Your heart is in this deep! Love the triple sashing.

Loris said...

I love the sashing AND I love the story about your heart patient. Isn't it a wonderful experience to see such health return in someone? It's a blessing to be a part of it.

Janet O. said...

Julie, you always have beautiful quilts and uplifting stories to share! The Sampler looks wonderful in r/w/b.

Tired Teacher said...

The blocks will look great with the sashing you've selected. Great job!

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Love the colours. It will become beautiful!

Binsa said...

Enjoyed seeing your quilt Julie I am behind with the ss a braves choice to lfinish the ss

Chantal said...

This Splendid Sampler turns out to be quite a mementos quilt. Even a life saving event is included in. Wow! The label on it will be mighty big! I guess this quilt will stay in the family? Even if you remove all the stories behind it, it is still an awesome quilt. The colours are well distributed and I love that sashing pattern. It work so well with these blocks. Have to do that 9-Patch cornerstones on mine as I always admire your work when you use it. Enjoy! ;^)

Sherrill said...

Ooo, you got to work in surgery?!! From the time I trained as a nursing asst. and first entered the surgical suite to the time I graduated nursing school, I always wanted to work in surgery even going to scrub tech school AFTER getting my nursing degree. That never happened but I DID at least spend some time in surgery and loved it! Another beauty in progress!!

Kyle said...

This quilt's story makes an awesome R W & B sampler quilt. The sashing is perfect.

Lori said...

Several reasons to love that quilt! And it is lovely.

Mary Ann said...

I goal for this year is to quilt the tops I have. I am making Bonnie Hunter's newest mystery quilt for a friend and plan maybe to make it in colors for me plus the Halloween quilt I am making for my daughter from Bonnie's Jingle block. But that is the end. I have 4 tops to quilt on my domestic machine but I am looking into renting the long arm at the local quilt store or if my girlfriend takes the required class, I will pay her rent plus.

Missy Shay said...

What a terrific memory of putting the lab coat in your quilt!

Randy D. said...

VERY impressive~!! I love all those red/white/blue blocks!!!
And I like your organization for getting ufos completed!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

First, you might want to delete the comment above mine. It's great that you have made so many blocks. So far, I've only printed off the patterns, but, not made a single one. One of these days......

Sharon said...

Uh oh, not very quilty comment you might want to delete. Your bear paw is excellent and this sampler is taking shape, keep at it!

liniecat said...

Loving your Splendid!
Mines stalled for now lol

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...