Friday, September 5, 2014

A little modification

 In the Spring 2014 magazine issue of Quilts and More, there was a little quilt pattern for a door decoration quilt.  I took the pattern and modified it just a little bit, adding the borders on three sides.  It would be fun to complete a little quilt like this for each season!! Can't you just see this in autumn colors? I will enjoy the stitching at night...I love those quiet times, just sitting and stitching.
 Recently I have been on a cutting binge.  Tiny throwaway slivers are turned into these hot pads. Backing, batting, and tiny pieces squished flat with the iron, then just quilted over the top of it all.  They make great hot pads, and I get to use all those tiny slivers.
 I recently got this at an antique shop.  Everything was super inexpensive, don't know why.  Maybe they were going out of business?  I have no idea what this says, however...do you know?  Hope it it something good, LOL!!  I do like the old patina of this antique little mirror.
 What does it say??
 Is this a doily?  or a handkerchief?  I washed it and pressed it flat.  It was in a box of old hankies.
 Karen the Log Cabin Quilter sent me these fun Halloween fat quarters!!  I love them...how much fun!
And this strings are being cut based on an idea from Karen's blog.  She recently made a quilt border with tiny log cabin blocks, made all from browns.  I was smitten!!  Please go visit her HERE!



Hope your day is great today, and that you have some stitching time!!

Julie


22 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love that idea for the hot pads!

Karen said...

The watering can with flowers is sweet. I have not seen a design yet that had a watering can in it that I did not like.

mckie2 said...

It's a hankie. The round style is kind of rare.

Nancy said...

I agree, it's a hankie. I found one a couple of years ago with a very similar design.,

Love the hot pads and door decoration.

Donna Keating said...

Howhat a cute idea. I love to change quilts, etc with the season. By the way, which antique shop was that?

Missy Shay said...

I love that little door decoration!

Missy Shay said...

Oh, and that mirror looks like it might be German or something.

Nancy said...

I was surprised to look at some of your reds in the border and see reds that I have in my collection, too. I don't know why it surprises me to see someone else with the same fabric but it always does.

The words at the top of your mirror translate to:
"Be clean and neat on your clothes
The birds they know their feathers"

The word at the bottom translates to "comb."

They are Dutch.

It's a lovely mirror and comb holder.

Janet O. said...

How fun to get a translation--it is a very cute little mirror. Love the round hankie, too.
That is a really fun door hanging--yes, it would be great in seasonal colors (this from someone who recently went overboard translating a pattern for all seasons).
Ooo--fun stuff from Karen. I absolutely swooned over her little log cabin borders! Can't wait to see what you create. : )

Flickenstichlerin said...

What cute stuff. I love your usage of little scraps. Great idea.
Greetings,
Sylvia

antique quilter said...

very cute halloween fabrics! love your new little quilt, like the borders added, yes make one for fall now!
doily is pretty. but I am sure its a hanky my aunt had one like that when I was little I remember thinking thats a funny hanky round and she said it was to be able to fold easily, hadn't thought about that for years
Kathie

Lesley said...

Lots of fun in this post! Love the little quilt and those strings look very interesting!

Chantal said...

Love your little door decoration. It certainly would look great in fall colours (my favorite colours). Thanks for the link to Karen, I saw a lot of things I like on her blog so now I'm stalking her too LOL. Sweet antique treasures you got there. Enjoy.

Lori said...

Such cute finds! Hubby and I are going to an antique fair tomorrow. I hope to find some deals.

Linda O said...

Cute little quilt, Julie! Wonderful finds at the antique shop too. The little mirror is darling. Can't wait to see your little log cabins too! Will you paper piece them?

AnnieO said...

Lots of great stuff as usual! The door decoration is adorable in reds and borders all around :)

Anonymous said...

Such a cute watering can!

Binsa said...

Hi JUlie, enjoyed catching up with your posts. Loved your vintage finds. Hugs, O'faigh

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just LOVE log cabin blocks! I can't wait to see yours.

Anonymous said...

No wasting at your house...fun to see others gift you too!

Unknown said...

I love your little watering can quilt!
Great idea for the hot pads - you are the epitome of "waste not want not".

Annemiek said...

the correct translation is" birds are known by their feathers"..
It was common to have a mirror with storage for a comb, next to the frontdoor, so you could check your appearance before going out. Sometimes there was room for a clothing brush too. In my parents house and at my gran's we had something similar.
Funny something like that turned up in your vicinity! Probably immigrant property I guess.
The spelling is very old too..probably before 1946

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...