Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Just a day off...

 Well, here is the UN-clipped seam version.  I still need to clip all the seams, trim threads, and toss this plaid quilt into the washer. Then it will be raggedy edged!! I think it will be a fun patient quilt, for a guy perhaps.  Hospital bed sized.
Earlier this spring, I made a few blocks...and they demanded to be put in their own little quilt.  so here we are!!  Now, little blocks...are you satisfied, LOL?!



**********************Nurse's Notes*************************


Sometimes, we have a patient and case that is just horrific from beginning to end.  A drama just like this is unfolding on our nursing unit as we speak.  Multi organ system failure...weeks and weeks of it.   So very sad, and yet the dear family just cannot let go.  I feel so bad for them, and for the patient...and for the staff too.  Heart wrenching!!


On the flip side, we had a 95 year old patient come in with congestive heart failure.  She told me, "I just cannot leave the dill pickles alone!".  She had fluid overload...so lots of oxygen and Lasix (diuretic) later, she was all better and raring to go home!!  She was doing exercises in her bed, and just was a darling lady...wish everyone could share a bit of her spirit!!!  She walked (almost strutted) out of our hospital, and was driving later in that day!  Yahoo for a big success....and pickles?  Sodium galore!!  Be careful!!


**************************************************************


Have a great day!

Julie

15 comments:

Loris said...

Love the raggedy edge quilt! Will you consider doing another photo after it is washed. I bought recommended scissors to make one of these....and still haven't gotten a 'rountoit'.
Seeing a prolonged end of life is certainly a challenge in your job. Prayers for the patient and family and staff.

Angie said...

Love those quilts, JK!! Girl, just come on over to my house and play with me. :) What lovely gifts you've received, the DP quilt, the quilt top AND the precious 95 year old who 'danced' out of your hospital (Mmmmm love those dill pickles but I rarely eat them ;p). My heart hurts with yours for the family that is having to slowly let their loved one go. I'm in a similar situation with a sister-in-law of 51 years (makes her my sister, huh?). She's soooooo painfully shutting down and leaving, and only for her sake, I wish she could just go to sleep right now and not wake up. Alas, that is not within out abilities. I think of you so often. Hugs of love and light, sweetpea. :)

Linda O said...

Productive day off! The raggedy edge quilt is perfect. Darling little quilt too - great color combo. Inspiring 95-year old! Need those uplifting stories to help with the more difficult ones. Your patients are lucky to have you!

Merilyn said...

I have seen raggedy edge quilts before and they look so cosy! I hope you post a photo when you are all done raggedy-ing it!!!!
I hope I'm like that if I reach 95!!!!

Janet O. said...

That is a great looking guy quilt, Julie. And those little blocks should be happy! They have such a nice home now. : )
Oh, what an emotional journey nursing must be. I admire those of you who can hold up under all of the ups and downs and still keep serving with a positive attitude.

Nancy said...

Great quilts!

It sounds like the family has some unsolved issues with the patient, and thus, can't let go. It's sad.

I encourage EVERYONE to get a living will. Then, the staff and family do not have to go through this emotional turmoil, and the patient's wishes can be fulfilled. I've had one for nearly 15 years and update it every other year. It's important!

Browndirtcottage said...

Your raggedy quilt is FAB!! The design is different than most I have seen!! Very good!!

Amanda said...

I love the top quilt! It is a great design and someone is going to love it!

Sharon said...

Look at you go, girl...that is a beautiful "rag" quilt top...love it!

Quilter Kathy said...

Those little on pointe 4 patches are so cute...even though they are bossy!

Grit said...

Das wird ein toller Quillt. DAs Top sieht super aus.
Liebe Grüße Grit

AnnieO said...

Love the new quilt! Can't wait to see how fluffy and raggedy it gets. Cute 4 patch bossy blocks too :)

Sad story of the poor patient with multi organ failure. What torture they are all going through without much hope of recovery. But you never really know, right?

Unknown said...

Lovely raggedy edged quilt - on another note I'm guessing most of us are saying to ourselves why doesn't that family just let their loved one go but it's so easy to say that when it's not your loved one - we'd probably all want to hang onto them if they were ours - a tough one to support the family and each other through

Debi said...

The raggedy edge quilt is lovely, I like the fabrics. You sure get a lot done on your day off!

Lori said...

What a fun quilt! The raggedy edge ones always look so comfy!!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...